Patient Safety and Practice Assessment
Completion of an accredited performance improvement continuing medical education (CME) program that addresses performance or quality improvement according to the following criteria:
- The activity must address a quality or safety gap that is supported by a needs assessment or problem analysis, or must support the completion of such a needs assessment as part of the activity;
- The activity must have specific, measurable aim(s) for improvement;
- The activity must include interventions intended to result in improvement;
- The activity must include data collection and analysis of performance data to assess the impact of the interventions; and
- The accredited program must define meaningful clinician participation in their activity, describe the mechanism for identifying clinicians who meet the requirements, and provide participant completion information.
An example of an activity that could satisfy this improvement activity is completion of an accredited continuing medical education program related to opioid analgesic risk and evaluation strategy (REMS) to address pain control (that is, acute and chronic pain).
Complete an accredited performance improvement continuing medical education (CME) program, ultimately applying program content to address a specific quality or safety gap.
Documented completion of an accredited performance improvement program that includes active individual participation in the completion of a performance improvement project. Include all of the following elements:
1) Documentation/report of the performance improvement project completed – Documentation to include: a) the specific quality or safety gap and measurable improvement goal; b) the interventions used to result in improvement; and c) data with analysis demonstrating the improvement; AND
2) Confirmation of participation – Documented confirmation of participation and completion in accredited performance improvement program; AND
3) Program details – Details of accredited program must include: a) definition of meaningful eligible clinician participation in their activity; and b) description of the mechanism for identifying eligible clinicians who meet the requirements.
• Performance Improvement Module, such as Asthma IQ: Patient Management and Outcomes, Asthma IQ: Patient Assessment, PI Pro: Food Allergy, Self-Directed Practice Improvement Module https://www.aaaai.org/practice-resources/asthma-iq
• Participate in American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Skills Training Assessment Reinforcement (STAR) Certificate Program https://www.asge.org/home/education/advanced-educationtraining/star-cert...
• American Society of Clinical Oncology Quality Training Program https://practice.asco.org/quality-improvement/quality-programs/quality-t...
• Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s Making Informed Consent an Informed Choice: Training for Healthcare Professionals https://www.ahrq.gov/health-literacy/professionaltraining/informed-choic...
• American College of Physicians Advance Quality Improvement Curriculum https://www.acponline.org/practice-resources/acp-quality-improvement/acp...