Establish effective care coordination and active referral management that could include one or more of the following:
- Establish care coordination agreements with frequently used consultants that set expectations for documented flow of information and MIPS eligible clinician or MIPS eligible clinician group expectations between settings. Provide patients with information that sets their expectations consistently with the care coordination agreements;
- Track patients referred to specialist through the entire process; and/or
- Systematically integrate information from referrals into the plan of care.
ObjectiveImprove processes for care coordination and active referral management, thus making care more effective and efficient, preventing risky delays and under-treatment, and increasing patient satisfaction and adherence to treatment.
Evidence of care coordination and referral management. Include at least one of the following elements:
1) Care coordination agreements – Documentation of care coordination agreements that establish flow of information and provide patients with information to set consistent expectations; OR
2) Tracking of patient referrals to specialists – Medical record or electronic health record documentation demonstrating tracking of patients referred to specialists through the entire process; OR
3) Referral information integrated into the plan of care – Samples of specialist referral information systematically integrated into the plan of care.