Achieving Health Equity
In order to receive credit for this activity, MIPS eligible clinicians must promote the importance of a comprehensive eye exam, which may be accomplished by providing literature and/or facilitating a conversation about this topic using resources such as the “Think About Your Eyes” campaign and/or referring patients to resources providing no-cost eye exams, such as the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s EyeCare America and the American Optometric Association’s VISION USA. This activity is intended for:
(1) non-ophthalmologists / optometrist who refer patients to an ophthalmologist/optometrist;
(2) ophthalmologists/optometrists caring for underserved patients at no cost; or
(3) any clinician providing literature and/or resources on this topic. This activity must be targeted at underserved and/or high- risk populations that would benefit from engagement regarding their eye health with the aim of improving their access to comprehensive eye exams.
Documentation of patient engagement by non-ophthalmologists/optometrists on the importance of comprehensive eye examinations targeted at underserved and/or high risk populations or documentation of ophthalmologists/optometrists providing care for patients at no-cost for underserved and/or high risk populations.
1) Documentation providing evidence that targeted, underserved, and/or high-risk populations are engaged in their ocular health with the aim of improving their access to comprehensive eye exams; and/or
2) Documentation that a discussion with the patient regarding the significance of annual comprehensive eye exams (when indicated) with evidence that ophthalmic resources were distributed to promote ocular health; and/or
3) Demonstrated promotion of the significance of comprehensive eye exams (referring patients to resources and providing no-cost eye exams) via ophthalmic resources with evidence that a conversation about this topic was conducted using resources such as the “Think About Your Eyes” Campaign, American Academy of Ophthalmology’s EyeCare America, and the American Optometric Association’s VISION USA. Evidence of use of these resources in support of this Improvement Activity may include screenshots of a notation in the medical chart, or copies of the ocular literature provided to the patient; and/or
4) Documentation of providing a free eye exam to the patient.